Thursday, July 22, 2010

Portuguese Food!

Time for a trip down memory lane:
One of the first times we went to visit my mom and dad in Portugal, Rylan discovered the joy of Pop-Tarts. We don't buy Pop-Tarts at our house, other than maybe once in a blue moon. In his little 3 year old life at the time this story takes place, he had never had a Pop-Tart......

In preparation for the grandkids' visit, my mom had gotten a few boxes of Pop Tarts for a special treat. Rylan and Elaina both enjoyed them immensely. That's what grandmas are for right?

When we got home, they went back to their Poptart-less existence.  : )   A few months later, as Rylan and I were talking, he started talking about Portuguese food. He talked about how much he loved those Portuguese things grandma had at her house for breakfast. After asking some questions, I figured out that he was talking about Pop Tarts.  I would say that Pop Tarts are about as UN-Portuguese a food as I can think of. But in the mind of three year old Rylan, he had them first in Portugal...they must be a traditional Portuguese breakfast item.(I don't know if you can even get them in Portuguese stores; my parents get them at the Embassy)

We still talk about that time whenever we have Pop Tarts....which is really only when Grandma comes to visit and buys some.  This week....we are enjoying Portuguese breakfast at our house....thanks to our wonderful Grandma. 

2 comments:

  1. Go Grandma!!!! I LOVE Pop-Tarts. But I can't buy them because I'd eat the whole box in one day.

    ReplyDelete

Add other items