Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Biking Adventures

I  have fond memories of going on 'Biking Adventures' as a kid. My dad, my sister Angela, and I would go on a bike ride together. My dad would let Angela and I take turns picking which way to turn. After we were significantly awed by the new areas of town we had seen, he would lead us back home.

I remember thinking how amazing it was that my dad could find his way back, no matter how many turns we took. He never got lost, he never lost the way. We had absolutely no idea where we were or how to get home. We would have been wandering helplessly, but Dad knew the way back and safely led us home every time.

I'm sure there is a lesson in that. Though I admired my earthly father, and still do, how much more can we trust our Heavenly Father to lead us. God knows the way home, and He knows the path that is best for us here on earth. Sometimes we pick paths that are not the right way and we would be hopelessly lost without the Father's guidance. Even as an adult, though I may have outgrown my need for my dad to lead me back home after a bike ride, I will NEVER outgrow the need for my Heavenly Father to lead me through life.

Today, Rylan and Elaina and I went on a 'Biking Adventure' of our own. I let them pick all the turns and then I led them back. I know...some of you know my sense of direction(or lack thereof) and am amazed that I was able to find the way home, but we made it. The ride had a few difficulties; there were some tears (not mine: )  on a very steep hill we encountered, but we made it back home. We were sweaty, but safely back home.

I hope that I can pass on a love of 'Biking Adventures'  to my children, but more than that, I pray that I can pass on to them a desire to follow their Heavenly Father throughout life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add other items