Saturday, April 9, 2011

10 Signs of Spring

#10 ~ Unfortunately, one of the signs of spring that I don't like is ants. (I promise they get much better after this one. : ) Every year this time when it rains, they come scouting out by the windows in our living room. At least it has wood floor and is easy to spot them and get rid of them. I could not bring myself to take and actual picture...so the one at the left is a clip art.




#9 ~ Flowers blooming. These jonquils are the first to bloom every year at our house. They don't last long, but they are a beautiful reminder that more plants will be in bloom before you know it. These are a transplant from my Grandma Voelker's flower garden, so they have a sentimental connection for me as well.




#8 ~ More jonquils on their way up. The iris' are on their way up too!












#7 ~ The Hydrangeas are budding. I can't wait to have the hydrangeas back again this year. They are my favorite flower and I envision the day when they fill this whole area on the side of the house.


# 6 ~ Open house projects are under way.
Elaina and I spent the afternoon working on her book report project about Buffalo Bill Cody.

Meanwhile, Rylan was busy in the garage. This year, for his Iowa project for fourth grade, Rylan and Papa are building a sod dugout. Early Iowa settlers lived in dugouts as temporary housing in order to qualify for the homestead act of 1862. Can you imaging living in a house of dirt? Dirt floors, dirty walls, dirt ceiling. Imagine the insects, the worms. They certainly would be hard to decorate. It makes me thankful for my house, that's for sure.






#5 ~ Swinging in your pajamas right before bed in the evening. Cool breeze, dusk, giggles, grins...love it!













 #4 ~ Flip Flops! Ok...technically, these came out for me back in February or so...but still, I'm going to count them.


# 3 ~ Clothes (blankets) on the line...need I say  more?

















# 2 ~ Spring Soccer Season:

Rylan's team, Orange Crush, won their first game. Elaina's team, Pinkaliscious, did too!

I love the picture below of the two girls high fiving as they run down the field after some great teamwork that led to a goal! (Elaina is on the right)












And....the #1  sign of spring...is....


Seriously, if you haven't tried them...you should. I am not a fan of the normal jelly beans, but these ones? You have to buy at least one bag a year. The blue ones are the my favorite. 
Try them out! You won't regret it.

What signs of spring have you seen lately?

1 comment:

  1. Calla lilies springing up all over the place

    Lizards darting about

    Wearing fewer layers of clothing outside but still needing a sweater inside the house and in church

    Students talking about who is taking who to Spring banquet

    Counting down the days till I head to Chicago and then Iowa

    See you soon, Christi, but I won't be wearing flipflops!

    ReplyDelete

Add other items