Friday, August 5, 2011

Literary Lines


Literary Lines
In an effort to find a quote to include in the family scrapbook, I ran across a wealth of wonderful quotes about books and reading. I'm thinking of framing some for the library at our house. Which quote about books/reading is your favorite?

Good as it is to inherit a library, it is better to collect one.  ~Augustine Birrell

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
 There are books so alive that you're always afraid that while you weren't reading, the book has gone and changed, has shifted like a river; while you went on living, it went on living too, and like a river moved on and moved away. No one has stepped twice into the same river. But did anyone ever step twice into the same book? ~Marina Tsvetaeva
Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. ~Henry Ward Beecher
TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book. ~Author Unknown
The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television. ~Andrew Ross
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney
I know every book of mine by its smell, and I have but to put my nose between the pages to be reminded of all sorts of things. ~George Robert Gissing
The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
A house without books is like a room without windows.  ~Heinrich Mann
Never judge a book by its movie.  ~J.W. Eagan 
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. ~Mark Twain, attributed
To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.  ~W. Somerset Maugham
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.  ~Richard Steele
A truly good book teaches me better than to read it.  I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint.... What I began by reading, I must finish by acting.  ~Henry David Thoreau
To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.  ~Chinese Saying     
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add other items